James Edward Gibson

  • James Edward Gibson
    James Edward Gibson

What could be better than skiing the clouds with Sven Wilk coaching you once again. We all believe that Jim Gibson is doing that glorious thing since his passing on Oct. 18, 2020.

Jim was born in Pueblo, Colo., at the Corwin Hospital which was the C.F. & I. hospital on June 15, 1935. He was greeted by his dad, John E. Gibson a Crested Butte coal miner and his mother Esta M. who came from Bowie, Texas. He had two brothers, John, Jr., and Richard and one sister, Marilyn.

Jim was smart and very active in school. He was a skier from a young age. He and his older brother Jr. skied at the Yaklich dairy barn where they used a shed as a jump. In high school he was a member of the ski team and competed in downhill, slalom and jumping. Cross country was added in college.

Wilk recognized his potential for the college ski team and began coaching him. Along with the rest of the young ski team, they would foreloft the college jumping meets at Rozman ranch on the hill. Wilk became his coach when Jim went to college at Western State in 1953. Wilk thought Jim had Olympic potential.

Jim was active in other sports. He was a guard for the Crested Butte High School (CBHS) basketball team and the Gunnison County High School (GCHS) teams. Jim finished high school in Gunnison after the mine closed in Crested Butte. He was a musician playing tuba in the CBHS band. He was also the drum major for the marching band. He graduated from GCHS in 1953.

After two years of college, Jim joined the Naval Air Force. He was there for four years serving in Chicago, Moffet, Calif., and Adak, Alaska. He was a radio man on a Navy plane.

During his term in the service, Jim met and married his wife Betty Wolf. Betty died in 2002 leaving three sons, James, Roger and David. His step daughter Debra was with them from the beginning of the marriage.

Jim returned to Western where he graduated with an accounting degree. He was hired by GMC and served them in Fremont, Calif.„ St. Louis, Mo., and Ft. Wayne, Ind. During that time he became an avid golfer and fisherman.

Jim retired and moved to Carson City, Nev., and then to Yuba City, Calif., where he was a volunteer policeman. He died after suffering and fighting cancer for over a year.

Jim was loved and is being missed by all of his family and friends. Rest in peace, Jim, and keep skiing those clouds — we’re watching you.