Forest Service warns against trespassing


Private property and wilderness off limits for motorized use

  • The Forest Service asks winter recreationists to respect property boundaries.
    The Forest Service asks winter recreationists to respect property boundaries.

The U.S. Forest Service asks motorized recreationists to know which areas are private, which are public and which are Wilderness this winter. Free maps and brochures are available to assist in determining these boundaries.

Law enforcement frequently receives trespass reports.

The winter landscape can be tough to navigate. A good rule of thumb is if you see a structure you are most likely in or near private property. Please be responsible and make the right choice to ride away from structures and private property.

The best way to know where you are is to download a free map app which will show you exactly where you are. This will prevent trespassing and it will help protect recreation areas.

Here is how to find the two map apps, Avenza and CBGtrails, to help prevent trespassing: Download Avenza which is a free Map application at Stay the This application lets you know what routes are open for your type of recreation and exactly where you are at all times. It works anywhere in our state.

CBGtails is another app that works like Avenza. You can find CBGtrails at

Both of these applications work off of your phone GPS and you do not have to have service.

Remember to ride in open areas. No motorized vehicles are allowed in wilderness and the following areas:

Motorized over-the-snow vehicles are not allowed in Anthracite Mesa, Coney’s Ridge area, the Rock Springs Creek drainage on Mt. Baldy and in the Gothic Closure Area.

Riding areas to watch out for private property and special regulations include the Kebler Rolling Hills area and the Irwin townsite.

Washington Gulch has a lot of private property, and there is a special map with permit required to ride in this area. Washington Gulch permits and maps are free and available at the Crested Butte Chamber of Commerce or the Gunnison Ranger District.

For questions, call the Gunnison Ranger District at 970.641.0471.