Vulcan: history of a gold camp

  • Alt Text for Image
    Alt Text for Image
  • Alt Text for Image
    Alt Text for Image
One of the best and least known gold camps in the Gunnison Country was located 12 miles southwest of Gunnison and was originally known as Camp Creek after the stream which ran through the mining town. The name was soon changed to Vulcan after the Vulcan Crest, a volcanic formation in the region. The Vulcan and Mammoth Chimney gold mines were discovered in 1895, bringing in hundreds of miners. In…

Premium Content is available to subscribers only. Please login here to access content or go here to purchase a subscription.